BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE
Federal Government College, Jos, a brain child of the then General Gowon led Military Administration, was established on 12th February, 1973 along with other second generation Unity Colleges like Federal Government College Kaduna, Kano, Enugu, Ilorin and others. It was initially situated at a temporary site known as Diye in Jos, on Bukuru by-pass road, which is now being occupied by the Air Force Girls’ Comprehensive School, Jos.
The College started as a Comprehensive Unity College, which still is, with only sixty-seven (67) students and six (6) pioneer teachers among whom was the expatriate Principal. Over four and half decades down the line, student population today stands at One thousand, Eight hundred and Fourty-Eight (1,848). This number comprises of Eight hundred and Ninety-One (891) males and Nine hundred and Fifty-Seven (957) females; as well as staff population of Three hundred and Twelve (312), which is made up of Two hundred and Eight (208) academic staff and one hundred and four (104) non-academic staff.
After about eleven years at the temporary site, the school moved to its permanent site in 1984, along Zaria Road where it is currently situated.
The roll call of the Principals is as follows:
- Mr. A. R. Allen (Britain) 1973-1977
- Mr. Dharmapalan (Indian) 1977-1982
- Mr. D. M. Ukpe (Nigerian) 1982-1984
- Dr. U. B. Ahmed 1986-1994
- Mr. J. B. Ladan (Late) 1995-2001
- Mal. Mustapha Jubril 2001-2002
- Dr. S. N. Akpan (Late) 2002-2004
- Mr. H. A. Saibu (Late) 2004-2006
- Mal. A. Alfa 2006-2008
- Mrs. C.O. Alayande 2008-2010
- Mr. M.K Manko 2010-2015
- Mrs. Assani, D. A. 2015-2017
- Mr. Agbo, A. (Late) 2017(9 months)
- Pam V. V. (Mrs.) 2018-2023
- West O. D. (Mr.) 2023 till date
The School is a comprehensive boarding and co-educational school. The College is undergoing upgrade to become one of the best 21st Century Secondary Schools in the Country.
There are facilities for Science, Technology, and Information and Communication Technology (ICT). There are Science Laboratories, Technology Labs and ICT Labs. The facilities available support a conducive atmosphere for learning. There are experienced and dedicated staffers who apply mentorship to guide and motivate students to achieve excellence.
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENT
To prepare learners to attain Academic and Moral excellence. To enable them to reach and expand their potentials and obtain life-long skills.
Young Nigerians equipped with relevant skills, capable of transforming them into better and patriotic citizens that can stand the test of global competition.
THE COLLEGE RULES AND OBJECTIVES
- Promptness at all times.
- Regular attendance.
- Respect for College properties.
- Right and orderly behaviour.
- Respect for the rights and properties of others.
- Courtesy at all times.
- Adherence to College rules and regulations.